Seeing summer is coming to a close, I wanted to take some time to reminisce about my travels of the summer
Upper Michigan- This was my first trip to Upper Michigan and it was definitely interesting. We went to the DeYoung Family Zoo while we were there and we got to hold baby hyenas! It was so cool. They were so cute. After the zoo, we had to go to Escanaba, MI because my boyfriend had a wrestling show there. Little did we know that there was a time difference there! We were almost late to the show because of that. Oops. But, luckily we figured that out and made it in time.
Big Summer Trip- This year we went on a big summer trip to Washington DC and back. We went through eight states: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Maryland, and Washington DC. Although this trip could probably be a post in itself, I’ll just do the highlights:
- Sitting and eating our snacks by all the historical monuments and Smithsonian Museums in DC
- Thinking my car was breaking down on the way to Michigan, but it was only part of the bumper that had broken off and was scraping the ground
- Worried we weren’t going to make it to the Pittsburgh Zoo due to American Idol Auditions
- Walking almost two miles to get from the Lincoln Park Zoo to the Field Museum in Chicago. Famous last words, “It’s just over there, it won’t be that long.”
- Waking up at 12:00am on Friday morning to begin our trip and being so excited. A month of planing is finally here!
- Calling into work on Saturday and being free from work for a whole week! Yahoo!
- Driving over 2,000 miles and going to 12 zoos in 10 days
- Seeing Pandas at the National Zoo
- Eating at new restaurants
- Seeing the movie, The Zookeeper, because we figured it fit the theme of our trip
- Finding the Professional Car Society’s Annual Car Show in Columbus, OH
- Damn turnpikes
Minnesota Trip- The last big trip of summer (because we are now out of money) was going to Minnesota. My sister came along and that was really great. We went to the Como Park Zoo, Mall of America, and The Minnesota Zoo. She had never been to Minnesota, so it was nice to spend that time with her. And Mall of America is always great. We ate the huge volcano dessert at Rainforest Cafe. Three pieces of big chocolate brownie, ice cream, whipped cream, hot fudge and sparklers. Awesome.
We also went on a few day trips to the Milwaukee Zoo, Circus World Museum in Baraboo, Henry Vilas Zoo in Madison, Manitowoc Zoo, and the NEW Zoo. It was a great summer, full of fun, zoos, and family